Farming in excess of 40,000 (including some marginal and rough) hectares of Ross-shire, Inverness-shire, Morayshire and Sutherland, the Members of Highland Grain Ltd. are professional malting barley producers as well as professional farmers in every other respect. Consistency has been the hallmark of the quality of the malting barley produced by its Members and supplied to quality maltsters and distillers in Scotland.
In 1995 Highland Grain Ltd. became the first, and only, business in Scotland at that time which could supply malting barley produced entirely from farms approved under the farm assurance scheme, Scottish Quality Cereals. At the present day, its membership is approved under one or other of Scottish Quality Crops or Red Tractor Assurance. The Company therefore offers complete traceability of the product and the assurance that it was produced under rigorous guidelines developed to safeguard food safety and the environment, and to guarantee a high standard of husbandry and storage on the farm.
Benefits of Membership
As a cooperative, Highland Grain Ltd is owned and run by its members to provide the following benefits:
- To provide cost effective drying, storage, and marketing services for Members;
- To add value to Members’ crops wherever possible
- To provide professional, and independently verified, laboratory analysis for all crops grown by Members
- To provide market analysis information
- To operate a fair and cost effective uplift service from farm
- To provide effective price risk management services for Members
- To provide a secure route into quality markets
- To reinvest Members’ funds, where appropriate, to maintain and modernise the plant complex